Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut Foam
This recipe makes a foam, flavored with passion fruit, coconut and a touch of vanilla. The Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut foam is much like a whipping cream, yet non-dairy (vegan) and will last for a while, depending on it’s application. If applied to a hot dessert or breakfast, it will melt faster, than topping a cold beverage or dessert. This foam was originally designed for a Craft Beer Cocktail, the Hoppy Lei. The tropical flavored foam plays off the flavors of a Urthel Hop-It beer, full of Belgian yeast esters and a unique hop character. Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut Foam adds a creamy, tart and slightly vanilla sweetness to add balance from the brews flavor profile, for this cocktail application.
This Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut Foam would also be a wonderful addition in a culinary application. Try this non-dairy foam on some tropical flavored pancakes, waffles or crêpes for a breakfast treat. I can taste it on a tropical inspired Ice Cream Sundae or used it as a dessert topping. It could also be used in other cocktail creations, as well. To make this recipe, you’ll need a few non-standard culinary items, to make the non-dairy topping foam. A ISI whipping kit or other whip cream canister that can be filled with Nitrous oxide chargers creates the frothing in combination the cooled gelatin.
Use this recipe and technique as a template for other flavor combinations. The passion fruit juice | purée can be substituted with pineapple juice, guava purée, mango purée, papaya purée or even banana purée. I have had wonderful success with Perfect Purée list of frozen purée.
Special Equipment Needed:
Home Brew Chef Approved:
- iSi Culinary Whipper Kit
- ISI Rapid Infusion
- iSi 0085 North America 50-Pack Nitrous Chargers for Cream Whippers
Adapted from BeerAdvocate Magazine: Cuisine à la Bière | Apr 2009 | Issue #27
|2 cup||5 minute|
a passion fruit, coconut and vanilla bean flavored Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut Foam used for Craft Beer Cocktails and other breakfast | dessert creations.
- 1 1/4 teaspoon gelatin powder, 1 envelope from Knorr
- 12 ounce passion fruit nectar | juice preferably the highest percent juice
- 1 each vanilla bean available at Beer Beer and More Beer
- 3 ounce simple syrup, recipe here
- 1 pinch salt, sea
- 4 ounce coconut milk, Chaokoh Chaokoh brand
- 1 each N2O Creme Charge
- Pour the gelatin into a small bowl and add 4 ounces of the nectar | juice, letting it bloom for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining nectar | juice, split vanilla bean, simple syrup and salt. Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat and let the flavors infuse for 20 minutes, sealing the pot with a tight fitting lid (or wrapping the pot in aluminum foil). Strain the syrup, removing any solids, into the canister of the whipping cream dispenser, adding the bloomed gelatin & coconut milk, and screw on the top; shake well to fully combine and dissolve the gelatin into the mixture. Carefully unscrew the top of the dispenser and place the canister into a bowl of ice water to chill to 40°F | 4°C.
- Seal the whipped cream siphon with the top, turn upside down and charge with the crème charger (N20). Shake for 30 seconds to thoroughly mix. Store in the refrigerator till ready to use. The foam is better the following day. The foam will last up to two weeks refrigerated.
- To use the foam, shake well, invert the dispenser and slowly pull the trigger when the nozzle is over the goblet or glass. The foam will be thick.
Recipes Using Passion Fruit Vanilla Coconut Foam:
More Cocktail Foam Recipe Variations: