Guava Coconut Foam
This recipe makes a foam, flavored with guava, coconut and a touch of ginger. The Guava Coconut Foam is much like a whipping cream, yet non-dairy (vegan) and will last for a while, depending on it’s application. It was originally designed for a Craft Beer Cocktail, the Hawaiian Monk. It uses the amazingly complex flavors of a Westmalle Tripel’s yeast and style characteristics to build off, for a this cocktail application.
This Guava Coconut Foam would also be a wonderful addition in the culinary application. Try this non-dairy foam on some tropical flavored pancakes, waffles or crêpes for a breakfast treat. I can taste it on a tropical inspired Ice Cream Sundae or used as a dessert topping. It could also be used in other cocktail creations. It make this recipe, see below, as if you do not have the Special Equipment suggestions below, the recipe will not work otherwise.
Special Equipment Needed:
Home Brew Chef Approved:
- iSi Culinary Whipper Kit
- ISI Rapid Infusion
- iSi 0085 North America 50-Pack Nitrous Chargers for Cream Whippers
Adapted from BeerAdvocate Magazine: Cuisine à la Bière | Apr 2009 | Issue #27
- 1 1/4 teaspoon gelatin powder, 1 envelope from Knorr or vegan alternative
- 12 ounce guava nectar, preferably the highest percent juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, fresh, peeled and grated on a microplane
- 3 ounce simple syrup, recipe here
- 1 pinch salt, sea
- 4 ounce coconut milk, Chaokoh
- Pour the gelatin into a small bowl and add 4 ounces of the nectar | juice, letting it bloom for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining nectar | juice, ginger, simple syrup and salt. Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat. Strain the syrup, removing any solids, into the canister of the whipping cream dispenser, adding the bloomed gelatin & coconut milk, and screw on the top; shake well to fully combine and dissolve the gelatin into the mixture. Carefully unscrew the top of the dispenser and place the canister into a bowl of ice water to chill to 40°F | 4°C.
- Seal the whipped cream siphon with the top, turn upside down and charge with the crème charger (N20). Shake for 30 seconds to thoroughly mix. Store in the refrigerator till ready to use. The foam is better the following day. The foam will last up to two weeks refrigerated.
- To use the foam, shake well, invert the dispenser and slowly pull the trigger when the nozzle is over the goblet or glass. The foam will be thick.
Recipes Using Guava Coconut Foam:
More Cocktail Foam Recipe Variations: