Beer Cubano Sandwich
Once you’ve had a Cubano sandwich, you crave it periodically. Cuban Style Braised Pork Shoulder in Nut Brown Ale is sliced thin (or pulled) and layered with sliced boiled ham, dill pickles, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard onto a special Cuban-style roll, then lightly brushed with oil (or melted butter) and pressed in a panini grill until the outside of the roll is crisp and crunchy. Traditionally the Cuban-style bread is similar to a baguette, but made with lard. As this bread is hard to find, there is an alternative sandwich, called a medianoche, which is made on egg bread similar to a Jewish challah, with all of the same sandwich ingredients above. As neither were available in my market, I used a brioche-style bun to get a similar finished sandwich. With these slight changes to the classic, this makes a Beer Cubano Sandwich!
Makes: 4 sandwiches
Adapted from BeerAdvocate Magazine: Cuisine à la Bière | Sep 2016 | Issue #116
- 4 each rolls, such as Cuban-style bread or sliced challah | brioche
- 1 recipe IPA Yellow Beer Mustard recipe HERE
- 1 pound Cuban Style Braised Pork Shoulder in Nut Brown Ale recipe HERE
- 1/2 pound ham, non-smoked, deli style boiled ham
- 12 each pickles, dill, sliced
- 8 each cheese slices, Swiss
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted melted
- Begin by slicing the bread and laying it on a cutting board. Spread some of the IPA Beer Yellow Mustard onto one side of each sandwich. Take the Cuban Style Braised Pork Shoulder in Nut Brown Ale and add 4 ounces to the mustard side of each sandwich. Add 2 ounces of ham on top of the pork, then 2 - 3 pickle slices, followed by two slices of Swiss cheese.
- Top each sandwich with the other piece of bread, then lightly brush the top and bottom outside crust with the butter or oil. Place into a panini grill that has been preheated and press the sandwich for 4 – 5 minutes, or until the meat is hot, the cheese has melted and the bread has a golden brown crust. Remove the sandwiches from the panini grill with a spatula and slice in half on the bias. Serve immediately.