Barley Malt Maple Syrup
Maple syrup is a wonderful, ready to go syrup, having been already reduced from maple tree sap. I add liquid malt extract (LME) to further enhance the flavors of wort into the maple syrup, to give extra depth to the finished Barley Malt Maple Syrup recipe.
There are several types of LME to purchase at a homebrew store. From light, dark, pilsner to Munich, Bavarian wheat to rye. All these types of LME will produce distinct results when blended with pure maple syrup. Maple syrup also comes in several different grades, that also have different flavor attributes. I add in a vanilla bean, either a fresh bean or a bean that has been soaking in bourbon to make my own vanilla extract. If you don’t have any vanilla beans in your pantry, vanilla extract, preferably a bourbon based, will work too.
|1/2 cup||5 minute|
|45 - 60:00 minute|
An infused pure maple syrup with liquid malt extract, and a vanilla bean, creating a Barley Malt Maple Syrup, perfect for pancakes, waffles or drizzled over biscuits or a bowl of oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, grade b the real stuff...
- 2 tablespoon liquid malt extract, (LME) such as one of these from Beer Beer and More Beer
- 1 each vanilla bean split in half with the seeds scraped into the jar, with the pod added too.
- In an 8 ounce canning jar, add the maple syrup and liquid malt extract of choice and prepared vanilla bean. Seal with a side and place into a 180°F | 82°C water bath and let cook for an hour. This will fully infuse the syrups together and it is ready to serve. this method can easily be scaled to a larger quart size, making this your staple for any breakfast treat needing syrup.
- Take a jar that is 8 ounces in size and add in the maple syrup, liquid malt extract (LME) and place into the microwave for 45 seconds on high. Add the 1 teaspoon of bourbon based vanilla extract, seal the jar and shake for 30 seconds. The syrup is ready.
- Store this Barley Malt Maple Syrup in the refrigerator and it will last for a month, with no issues. This recipe can be scaled to the size you need. Figure 1 - 2 tablespoons per serving for guests.
Recipes that use this Barley Malt Maple Syrup: